In The Island of Lost Children, the Darling family dog Nana goes missing for a while, which understandably makes Wendy very worried:
“All she could think about was Nana who always curled up beside her bed and greeted Wendy when she came home from school every afternoon. Nana looked out for Michael, who sometimes buried his head in her side while she slept. And she let JJ wrestle with her, only occasionally correcting him with a low growl.”
Like the dog in the classic Peter Pan, this Nana cares for the children in her family, trying to protect Wendy from the faery Bellatresse and helping Michael to relate to the world around him.
Is your dog a Nana?
To submit your story:
- Be a subscriber to Stories are Journeys.
- Write a story about your dog (or other pet) explaining how he or she helps people and/or other animals
- Limit the story to 1,000 words; attach a photo, if you’d like
- Submit the story by email to email@example.com or send via snail mail to Kim Batchelor, P.O. Box 226941, Dallas, TX 75222-6941. Include your name and email address (and your subscription email address, if different from your preferred address), and physical address if you would prefer a physical gift card if you win.
- Submissions must be received (email) or postmarked (mail) by April 31, 2015 (deadline extended)
- A $25 gift certificate to your favorite on-line bookstore
- A $25 donation to your favorite animal rescue group (must be a non-profit organization)
Questions? Email Kim